The Origin of the Yeti name by Frank the Welder.
Before Yeti Cycles John used to work in Special effects for the movies. He was racing sprint cars and owned a 1931 Indian Scout Motorcycle. He was working part time (between shows) at a sleeping bag factory in Santa Monica Ca. The name of the sleeping bag was 'Yeti', some time later John crashed hard and decided to give up racing. He had a friend 'Bob' who was making bicycle frames called 'Motocruiser' or 'Sweetheart cycles'. While John was in hospital (Where he met his wife Linda) he decided to trade the Indian Motorcycle for the bicycle comapny Bob had. He found that Yeti (camping gear) had gone out of business and the name was available.
1984/1985. John Parker, Yetis founder, raced sprint cars. At the end of 1984, he had a big accident whilst racing at Manzanita Speedway in Phoenix. After the accident, he could not pass the physical examination to return to his job working in the Special Effects industry. John Parker and Chris Herting work together for 'Sweetheart cycles'. In the Fall of 1985, John Parker sells his 1928 Indian Motorcycle 'Beulah Mae' and brought a Frame 'jig' and chromoly tubing. John and wife Linda left the world of special effects behind and started up a 'little bicycle company' Yeti cycles. Parker and partners Chris, brother Eric Herting and the now infamous Frank 'The Welder' Wadelton, Setup in the back of Matt Sweeney's special effects shop, in Agoura Hills in CA. Tinker Juarez rides on a borrowed Yeti, then later signs for General. Greg Dres rides single speed and is Yeti's first big racer .The original Yeti Man was created by Craig Stormon, The Yeti Man soon becomes one of the most instantly recognised company logos, as does the ice axe logo. FRO is made out of Patco Cro Mo tubing.